This book is a record of research into appropriate technology by a middle school student. It can be read easily by anybody because appropriate technology is described from the perspective of the writer, who is a non-professional and pre-novice.
- Book Intro
Appropriate technology is a hope for the world.
Appropriate technology enables sustainable production and consumption of a local community in the context of its political, cultural, and environmental conditions, eventually contributing to improving the quality of life for humans. Key examples of appropriate technology are: relief products such as the LifeStraw; technology related to agriculture such as the Super MoneyMaker Pump, a manual water supply pump; and educational products such as the XO-1 computer of One Laptop Per Child (OLPC).
Jo Seungyeon, a 14 year-old student, heard about this difficult-to-understand-technology for the first time at a special lecture by professor Jang Suyoung at Pohang University of Science and Technology. She was shocked that only 10% of the world enjoys its technological benefits and determined to become an expert in appropriate technology for the remaining 90%. She didn't neglect her dream. Rather she fed, watered and exercised it so that it could expand. This book includes all the joy, delight and despair she experienced during this process. It also serves as a great introduction to appropriate technology because it includes information that can only be found in professional books like the definition, necessity and precautions of appropriate technology, which are explained in "Knowledge Recharge Station," a part of the book.
It is easy to understand the hard concept since it is written in the words and writings of a teenager and an imaginative dialogue between an imaginary character (acting the role of appropriate technology) and Seungyeon is engaging and fun. The author, a non-professional and pre-novice, explains various aspects of appropriate technology from her level of expertise. Thus, everybody should find the book straightforward to read. It can be a guide to readers unfamiliar with the concept of appropriate technology.
- About the Author
Jo Seungyeon wrote A Girl Who Desires Appropriate Technology in her first year of middle school with passion. She brought the passion into academic study, now being into her major. While reading her textbooks, she discovered herself underlining the names of Richard Dawkins, Stephen Jay Gould, Barbara McClintock, etc. And soon, she was mesmerized by stories and book by those authors. Theses days, she explores the classical science books that portrays the scientists' intuitions, works and thoughts.