메뉴 건너띄기
대메뉴 바로가기 본문 바로가기

Find ID

Find your account

Enter your email address to find your account.

Find your account

Your registered email address is temporary.
Your password has been sent.

Welcome to K-Book.

please to K-Book. Please create an account for customized services.

* Password must be 4 ~ 12 digits including letters,
numbers and special characters.

* User Type

* Country

Belong to

Preferred Categories (Up to 3 categories)

Newsletter Subscription

Counterattack at Thirty

Author

Sohn Won-pyung

Publisher

EunHaeng NaMu Publishing Co., Ltd.

Categories

Literature & Fiction

Audience

Adult

Overseas Licensing

Chinese

Keywords

  • #thirty
  • #youth
  • #society
  • #counterattack

Copyright Contact

Seohae Kim

seohaekim@ehbook.co.kr

+82-2-6487-3055

  • Publication Date

    2017-10-23
  • No. of pages

    240
  • ISBN

    9791196199807
  • Dimensions

    140 * 210
Overview

Counterattack at Thirty depicts a striking but cheerful revolution perpetrated by little "Che Guevaras" that were born in 1988 and makes a critique about the injustice and hypocrisy of Korean society.

Book Intro

Kim Jihye is a thirty year-old intern at an academy which is affiliated with a Korean conglomerate. She lives an ordinary but stormy day-to-day life. One day, Gyu-ok, born in 1988 like Jihye, appears in front of her, animated by some sort of odd energy. Jihye and Gyu-ok attend a ukulele class with Muin, an unknown scenario writer, and Nameun, who has a personal internet show about eating meals. They rage at the harsh reality, where 99% of the people who make up society are unfairly cajoled by the remaining 1%. They start plotting to overthrow the parts of society, having some fun just like they're playing a game. As Gyu-ok's "prank letter" scheme to punish Kim, the Department Head, achieves unexpected results, the four are stimulated. They start to gather after ukulele class and conspire on new jobs. Every week, they carry out a naughty counterattack, something lighter than a misdemeanor, yet too ambiguous to call it defamation. While they keep it up unnoticed, more and more eyewitness accounts are uploaded to SNS. Soon, there are people following their "counterattacks." The 30-year olds relish the popularity, taking pleasures in resisting the unilateral, exploitative and demeaning authoritarianism. One day, Kim, the Department Head, resigns suddenly and Jihye is offered a regular job. Relations with Gyu-ok, Muin and Nameun also turn into a new phase as small incidents and conflicts continue...

 

Will people born in 1988, now at the end of their youth, and individuals who groan under the uncontrollable and exploitative structure of society just give up and be absorbed into the system devised by the older generation, or will they become the driving force for a new change?

 

Counterattack at Thirty is the first counterattack of "little "Che Guevaras" against the world, which will not change if nobody does anything. Although it may seem insignificant, the continuous resistance of these individuals against "bad individuals" calls for social introspection on the "bad society." Perhaps, "a crack which is made by something cheerful like a game might bring change to our society." The writer might want to say that it is a 21st-century style revolution against the various forms of authoritarianism.

 

About the Author

Sohn Won-pyung



Sohn Won-pyung was born in Seoul. She studied Sociology and Philosophy at Sogang University and film directing at the Korean Academy of Film Arts. She received the 6th Cine21 Movie Critic Award in 2001 and the Scenario Synopsis Award at the 3rd Scientific Technology Creative Literary Contest for her work Believing in Moments in 2006. She has written and directed many short films, including Ooh, You Make Me Sick and The Meaning of You. ALMOND or her first novel, won the 10th Changbi Adolescent Literary Award. Her second novel, Counterattack at Thirty, received the 5th Jeju April 3rd Peace Literary Award.

More in This Category
More by This Publisher
More by This Author
More for This Audience
List Loading Image
List Loading Image
List Loading Image
List Loading Image